Thursday, August 9, 2007

BookSprouting Review: Flotsam by David Wiesner



Flotsam by David Wiesner

Reading Level: Ages 4-8

Trade Paperback, 40 Pages

Published: September 2006

Estimated Price: $17.00 USD

I admit that growing up, I had two picture books in my library. Perhaps my parents never saw the point in them and I also confess that I rarely took them off the shelf after initially receiving them for Christmas one year from family friends. I suppose that is why I was so surprised to pick up Flotsam and find myself completely awestruck by the power of this story which is only told through its illustrations. A young adventurer goes to the beach with his parents to discover an old camera lying on the sand with the film still inside. Once the film is developed, the pictures can be described as nothing short of magical! I could have looked at them for hours and told 100 different versions of the story to myself. Each time I glanced through the pages, my imagination seemed to take hold of a new way of interpreting the scenarios on the page. This book would be a treasure to any child or adult alike. It's a Caldecott Medal Book for a reason!

5 out of 5 sprouts

1 comment:

Ryon said...

Kate - this sounds like one I need to pick up and 'read!' Thanks for your insightful reviews!